Baby co-sleeper saved me from becoming a sleepless monster! Yes baby co-sleeper is one of the best baby gear inventions of all times.
Back in 2011 when I finally returned home with my newborn from the hospital I was both tired and excited, worried and happy. New reality started for the three us (my husband, me and our son). A lot of it was unusual and we had to get used to it, say at least our day and night routine. Firstly, it took so much energy and time to get up several times per night to go to the baby crib and check on feeding, nappies or simply listen to the baby’s breathing (I did this! probably was overexcited). Soon enough I ran out of energy. I wish I knew back then that bedside sleepers existed.
Believe me some things really make parenting less challenging. One of these things is definitely baby co-sleeper or bedside crib. I didn’t have one so I invented it LOL. What I did is I moved the big baby crib closer to my bed taking one of the side rails off, making a custom co-sleeper or bedside crib and levelled it up to our family bed. Here are some insights why you might need one:
What is baby co-sleeper helpful with?
- 1 What is baby co-sleeper helpful with?
- 2 Properties of a perfect co-sleeper:
- 3 At number 1 Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper, Charcoal Tweed
- 4 View on Amazon
- 5 At number 2 Dream On Me, Skylar Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper
- 6 At number 3 Graco Sense2Snooze Bassinet with Cry Detection Technology | Baby Bassinet Detects and Responds to Baby’s Cries to Help Soothe Back to Sleep, Ellison
- 7 At number 4 Simmons Kids By The Bed City Sleeper Bassinet for Twins – Adjustable Height Portable Crib with Wheels & Airflow Mesh, Grey Tweed
- 8 At number 5
- 9 Baby Delight Snuggle Nest Organic Portable Infant Sleeper | Organic Oat | Unique Patented Design | Baby Bed – New!!
- 10 At number 6 HALO BassiNest Swivel Sleeper, Bedside Bassinet, Essentia Series, Morning Mist
- 11 At number 7 Angelbliss 4 in 1 Baby Beside Sleeper Bassinet | Portable Crib with Custom Sheets | Playards Easy Folding | Playpen Include Comfortable Mattress,Diaper Changer,Storage Basket for Newborn (Grey)
It helped a lot, specifically with this:
– baby was by my side, at hand’s reach;
– it helped me to disturb my sleep less, giving me more time to get refreshed and stay sane (I become a monster when deprived of night’s sleep and I found this out when I got a baby);
– I heard the baby breathe and vice versa – the baby heard me (turns out babies sleep better at mommy’s side, they both hear and smell that mom is at hand);
– it takes no space of you family bed, changing nothing much in your usual sleep routine.
– it is safe for your baby – having a separate sleeping space.
But my custom repurposed co-sleeper had a number of drawbacks. I will enlist them so that you know what to avoid when buying a ready-made one.
– it was too long – it took too much of my bed’s side space – making it hard for me to get out of my bed;
– not easily portable – ideally would be having it on wheels;
– it was not properly connected to our family bed, so that baby would be 100% safe and at the same time so that it could be easily disconnected from the bed when needed. Thus I have understood what an ideal baby bedside crib should look like.
Properties of a perfect co-sleeper:
- Length – up to 40 inches (1 meter long) is fine. It will last your baby up to 2-3 years.
- Mobility – preferably on wheels or lightweight, so that it can be easily moved when needed.
- Connectivity– should be safely and easily connected/disconnected to your family bed.
- Price – depends on your budget but it can be used instead of a full baby crib.
- Additional features – depends on your likes: design, material, color, add ons (special mattress, pillows etc.
Based on the above mentioned features I would like to make a review of best options you can choose from when considering buying such a useful piece of baby’s gear as co-sleeper or bedside crib. No need to invent it when you have such a variety of options and an expert’s opinion on the matter (ok I just have two kids but used co-sleeper each time and would heartfully recommend buying one).
Now I will show the best co-sleepers available to buy.
In this bassinet mode your little one is surrounded by breathable mesh walls that keep air circulating while providing her with her own sleeping area. For bed side sleeper mode simply unzip the side panel closest to your bed and snug the beside me dreamer right up to the side.
– Lightweight enough to move from room to room for convenience
– 6-positions allow height adjustment to adapt the sleeper height
At number 2
Dream On Me, Skylar Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper
As a bedside sleeper, the Skylar’s legs fold inward and outwards getting it close to the mattress. Lean in for breastfeeding or comforting your child! Five adjustable heights accommodate all types of beds leaving no gaps and is also easy on your back
– The Skylar is available with aluminum frames, which makes it lightweight and portable.
– It comes in five colors, allowing it to blend beautifully with your nursery.
At number 3
Graco Sense2Snooze Bassinet with Cry Detection Technology | Baby Bassinet Detects and Responds to Baby’s Cries to Help Soothe Back to Sleep, Ellison
Want to sleep with your baby without disturbing each other? Cry Detection Technology detects and automatically responds to baby’s cries to help soothe baby back to sleep and allows your baby to sleep next to you without sharing the same bed. Breastfeeding in the night becomes easy and peaceful.
– Choose from white noise, music, or nature sounds to help soothe baby to sleep.
– Also includes dimmable lighting.
View on Amazon
At number 4
Simmons Kids By The Bed City Sleeper Bassinet for Twins – Adjustable Height Portable Crib with Wheels & Airflow Mesh, Grey Tweed
Just in case you are a happy parent of twins this lightweight sleeper makes tending to your newborns in those first exhausting months at home easier. It’s space-saving design tucks close to your bed so your little ones can sleep close to you. Available also for one baby.
– Silent, hands-free auto glide motion at the push of a button.
– Includes removable and adjustable canopy blocks light.
View on Amazon
At number 5
Baby Delight Snuggle Nest Organic Portable Infant Sleeper | Organic Oat | Unique Patented Design | Baby Bed – New!!
Light sleeper with tall walls are lined with a soft, breathable mesh for ample air circulation. Waterproof foam mattress with a fitted, wraparound sheet makes tending to your newborn at home easier. It’s space-saving design can be placed on your bed so your little one can sleep right next to you yet safely in his own sleep space reducing the risks of bed sharing.
– Made with GOTS certified organic cotton fabrics.
– Age Grade: 0-5 months.
View on Amazon
A revolutionary bassinet and the only of its kind with 360 rotation and swiveling capabilities the more the bassinet moves the less you do making nursing and tending to baby easier from bed during your recovery period.
– Stable 4-point base adjust to fit most bed heights
– 2 storage pockets for baby’s essentials
View on Amazon
At number 7
Angelbliss 4 in 1 Baby Beside Sleeper Bassinet | Portable Crib with Custom Sheets | Playards Easy Folding | Playpen Include Comfortable Mattress,Diaper Changer,Storage Basket for Newborn (Grey)
– Vacuum cotton crib mattress, pearl cotton circles
– Fit for baby 0-24 month, Portable and Multipurpose
View on Amazon
To sum up baby co-sleeper is an absolutely necessary thing for making parenting a better experience for both you and your baby. If you are considering buying a crib or a co-sleeper, my advice would be definitely a baby co-sleeper.
Here is a complete list from Amazon: